8/19/10

Firefly Fever


Above: Matt Mastrovito 5/0 grind.
Lagging on the posts again. A combination of laziness and sickness this time.
So my friend Matt Mastrovito showed up at the park the other day (read three months ago when I could still skate) with this Firefly skateboard and proceeded to kill it. The funny thing is that the Firefly, an 80's era department store skateboard, was both of ours' first skateboard. Mine in Winnipeg and his in Edmonton. I remember saving up all the money from my flyer route so that I could buy it. I was so stoked. I think it cost like $30. I was making something like 1/2 a cent for every flyer I delivered, so at the time that $30 felt like a million.

Above: Backside tailslide on top of a giant plastic tailguard.
Matt had just found a replacement Firefly at Value Village for $5. The board has all the plastic options: a plastic nose guard, lapper, and huge plastic tail guard. The previous owner had also added some aftermarket rails. After Matt crushed the park on it for a while, he let me go for a ride. Standing on it again, I couldn't believe I actually kept skating all those years ago. There is no nose, and while the trucks wobble, I wouldn't say they actually turn.

Above: Full speed slappy grind on trucks that kind of resemble painted clay.
Transworlds' Skate and Create is by far my favorite skateboard contest. I'm actually really excited to get the new magazine and check out the photos. Wow. It's been a long time since I said that about Transworld. Etnies winning entry from last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment