3/28/11

The Suggitt interview

In the Edmonton skate scene there really is none bigger than Mr. Glenn Suggitt. I've known Suggitt for quite a few years now. I've had a bunch of questions I've always wanted to ask, but never really had a reason or opportunity to blurt them out all at once. So, I made up a reason. Plus, I figured it would be a good reason to literally dust off some old slides.

Above: Suggitt.

So the first question I had was how come you never went to California? How come you stayed in Edmonton?
I stayed in Edmonton because, I don't know. I've al
ways liked Edmonton, and because of the shops, mainly. Once I started the shops that was my number one goal. Yeah, I started the shops and that was it. I did as much traveling as I could having the shops, but I was never willing to go that route. I'd rather have the more shop life steez, you know what I mean. So, that's pretty much that one.

I think pretty much everyone goes to California and lives on couches for four years or something. Was that a route that appealed to you? Not at all. Never. Like, I got to go on all those trips. I went on tons of trips. I was going on trips with Jody Morris all the time and stuff, and Red Dragon, and I even went to Paris with Paul (Machnau) once. You know what I mean. I was doing the part of being at that stage, but I just really didn't feel like living there, living that life. Because it's eventually going to end. I had the shops and that's what I was living off of. I wasn't trying to live off the career of skateboarding.


Above: Morinville smith grind.

Did anyone try and convince you to go down?
Uhm, pretty much just Paul. You know what I mean, because he was the one that had a shot too and he gave up the shop life to go that route. And of course it worked out for him. But it's also a risk to take, right. Like look at some of the skateboarders nowadays that actually have left and it hasn't worked out for them and they're just like s
craping their lives together pretty much. Edmonton was cheap. I could afford to live here and I could afford to travel. Where I felt if I ever moved anywhere, I couldn't afford to do anything.



Skateboarding wasn't crazy popular like it is now. It wasn't on TV. So what was your first shop like in those early days?
It was way different. I'm trying to think how to answer that question. It was a lot mellower then. I'd have to say when I first opened that shop there were still only so many skateboarders (to the point) that you almost knew every single one of them. And then you would know every skateboarder in the industry. Now
there's hundreds out there, you don't know who half of them are, and they're all good. That's the one thing that's definitely changed since I did it. It's got so fucking huge that I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. What would you say? I liked it when it was a little tighter, personally.

I'm afraid I'll sound sort of like an old man going on about how it was better back in the day.
I would say it was funner back then when Famous first started because of how tight it was, you know. But even sinc
e Famous started there's (now) 20 different places you can go to buy skate shit and I think that's made the industry a little weird. How can I explain that better? It's not like a specialty anymore. You'd go to the skate shop and it would be different than everything else out there, you know what I mean. Skateboarding was a different part of the world. Now they've made it to the point where it doesn't have that feeling any more and it's kinda wack and it pisses me off. I know that's not really answering the question. But compared to what it was then to what it is now, it's like, what the hell.

You used to get
your ass kicked for being a skater. It wasn't the cool thing to do.
It's true. When I first started you'd h
ave those fucking people driving by and you felt that they were going to stop and you were going to have to take off. That's really what it was like.

So how did sponsorship come about for you?

It came when I was you
nger. Originally when I was working at Plush for Matt Davis. Well you know how everyone has a fucking video camera now? EVERY single person. And if they're skateboarding, they film. Like I think it's ridiculous when you go to West49 and everyone's filming West49 footage. That's stupid to me. Like it's everyday warm-up skating, why are you filming? And everyone does that. Back then we never filmed anything, we just skated. Matt had a camera through the store and it was the only one in the whole skateboard industry in Edmonton. I swear to God. So he had a camera and what we would do is we'd skate all the time and when we'd learn tricks, (we'd) borrow his camera and go film. So that's how I ended up making my video and then he sent it away for me and he got me hooked up through Timebomb or whatever. And then everything came from there. Just from making my first video. That's how my sponsorship first came about - Matt Davis had a video camera - seriously. (laughing)

Above: Nosebluntslide at the old Churchill Square. This ran in an old Concrete Powder article.

Who did you hook-up with through Timebomb?

Originally it was Emerica, then I rode for eS, and then went back to Emerica. And then, at that same time with all those first videos I made, Shorty's was involved in there. That was the first one. Then it was like Eternal skateboards
and then ah ... what else was after that?



I forgot you were on Eternal.
Yeah. Shorty's was the first boards I started getting, then Eternal and then I'm pretty sure it went straight to World Industries. And then by the time I was at World Industries, was when I got hooked-up with Red Dragon and everything. From my travels, from going out there and meeting Scott Pommier, Jody Morris and traveling with all those guys, it all kinda came together just from that one little video and then climbing up the ladder. But I actually made myself available to get to that point, you know what I mean. Once I made the video and met those people, I stayed in touch with them 24/7. Lots of people these days don't. So every time I got new footage, I sent it to them, sent it to them, sent it to them. And then if there was something going on, I'd go to the events. I've been to every single Slam City Jam that existed in my life. And then once you start showing up to all those places, you meet the people and the opportunities come up and you go on road trips. You don't say no to anything. And that's kinda just how I got to where I ended up getting to. Being around everything going on in the industry. Nowadays everything going on is ridiculous. Back then it was so limited. There were only so many events going on.



I don't even know if kids understand that back then World Industries was a huge fucking deal. And you left sort of at their height to start your own company. What made you decide to do that?
Uhm ... pretty much once I got to that point, that's when the stores were probably just getting to the most hype around them and I figured that if I did my own thing I could maybe start making money off that. I was still just an amateur for World Industries, it's not like I was making money. I was getting lots of opportunities to travel, but it's not like I was making money. So through the shops I was like, I'm going to do my own thing and then put some people on the company and sell the boards, and it worked out really good.
World Industries was ... like I had Paul in that department when I was riding for them and once he was involved with them and saw how they worked and shit, and the whole background scene of World Industrie
s, he got pissed off and left while I still continued riding and touring with them. I went on multiple tours with them. But once the good guys left that you're homies with, there is a lot of difference. It's just like this isn't the same anymore. I guess, like, for anyone riding for companies you know, once the good guys leave you're kinda like, "Fuck this company". That's kinda what it got to. And now honestly, look where World Industries is. It's not what it used to be. Not even close.

So obviously you were teammates with Ryan Sheckler at one point.

Yeah, and traveled with
him. Road trips he was sitting in my truck. In the front seat of the Escalade, it was hilarious. On the World Industries tours I was touring with him, Machnau, Neil Mimms, Carlos de Andrade, Jason Masse and Shekler's mom. She was with us on the whole tour.

Did you think he was going to be that huge back then?

Well doing the demos, because we were on a demo tour with them, and watching him absolutely destroy the demo, I knew.
He would roll in my truck going, "I'm going to get an Escalade one day. I want to get an Escalade one day." And I'm thinking in my head, "You're going to have no problem." And look at him now.


Above: Lipslide. A better scan of this photo ran in an old World Industries catalog.

I remember people telling me that at one point he really looked up to you.

Well, he came to St. A
lbert and I introduced him to my wife and that same day he was like, "Suggitt, I want some of your Famous shit". No problem. I gave him a hat, a shirt, and everything and he was in a fucking movie, what was it called? Do you remember that stupid movie? It was called The Grind or something. I can't even remember what it was called. It was right after that tour and in the movie he's wearing the shit I gave him. It's pretty awesome. I can't remember what the fuck it's called. Why do I think Grind or something?

I remember the first time I met you. I came into Plush, I was visiting from Winnipeg or something, and
Mavis goes, "Yeah, this is Glenn, he's on Plan B". And I was like, what?
Originally I got a call from Plan
B back in the day. That was the craziest thing ever. The team manager called me. This would have been just before World Industries. They said, "Oh yeah, we saw your video, it's amazing. Would you be interested? We're looking at you and a couple other guys or whatever". And it was when the last Plan B video came out. Who was it that they picked up? He was super tech. He was a ledgy, fucking wizard. I don't know if it was Brian Wenning or not.

Was it that other Brian guy who tota
lly disappeared? Brian Emmers?
Yeah, maybe it was him. Yeah, I think it was. Was he the ledgy tech guy at that point?




He was fucking bananas. Crazy good and then he just disappeared. You just never saw him again.
It was. That's who it was. Hundred per cent. It was between me and that guy and they ended up putting him on and I was, "Ah fuck, whatever". I didn't even care at the time because I got that phone call from the Plan B team manager. I was lik
e, "Whoa, this is just crazy". That could have been a (life) changing point if that happened. You know what I mean. Because at that time, where Plan B was, if I had that opportunity, I definitely would have veered more to that (over the shops). Because at that point, what you looked up to the most was the Plan B videos. They were the best.

Above: 180 flip.
Having gone through all this before with sponsors, have you given Jamie Tancowny any advice?

Yeah, I've given Jamie advice before. Lots.



Any gems?
He's an interesting character. I'd say Jamie's handling himself well the way he is going. And he couldn't really be doing it better. I think he's pretty smart on his own, but I used to always give him advice when he was younger. Nothing crazy though. I used to influence him in partying and having fun, but also to no
t to do anything stupid.

For as long as I can remember you've ro
cked the shaved head. Except ...
For once. (laughing)


What was with the cornrows?

That is so funny.


Because I have a picture.

I know. The noseslide right. I was wondering if you still had that. Because I don't have one picture of my life with those cornrows. The o
nly reason I started rocking them was pretty much because I wanted to grow my hair long and my hair is fucked! I don't know if you've ever seen my hair without it being in cornrows at that point, when it's that long, but it's pretty much a huge black man's afro. I've got wire hair. Cornrows was the only way I could have it long and keep it looking half civil.


Above: Cornrows and noseslides.

I think after that noseslide you tore them out.

I put them in two different times. I tore them out once after the noseslide, I think, and once at the Bob Yiannakoulias blue bar contest. And then I pretty much just shaved my head again. I can't deal with long hair. Where it came from was strictly trying to tame my huge muff of hair on my head. (laughing)


The next question is one I get asked quite a bit? What happened to street-riot?

What happened to street-riot? Do you honestly not know?


I have no idea. Except one day I went to log on, and it was like "you can't log on anymore". So I emailed you and you're like, "No, it's fucked".

Have you ever seen how Nathan's shit's all
fucked too? He was our main guy for it. So I never had any of the main passwords I needed; I didn't have the information I needed. So somehow my shit was still linked with his GiantHuman website and everything he did; they all went at the same time. And I had no clue how to fix them. I don't know how it's possible, but someone got into something and fucked everything up. I don't know how hackers do that, but somehow the whole system got a virus. And when it happened to ours, I'd go look at his (website) and his was all fucked too. I don't know how ours was tied to his or whatever.
Nathan was pretty much Plush and Famous as far as ... not the business side or anything, but the whole graphics and computerized world of it. Everything. So once street-riot disappeared ... once he died, which was the worst thing ever, once that happened I pretty much went on a chill session on getting anything made for the stores. Once the website went, I kinda just said, "Fuck it for now". You know what I mean. It was a shock that he even died. So I was in shock, I didn't want to find a new artist, I didn't want to try and find a new fucking computer guy. I wasn't interested in any of that. I was at the point wher
e I'm like, "Fuck, I'm not even going to make anything else." And so was Justin at Foosh. If anything, I want to reprint old graphics, which one day is my goal. Find out where all those files are and just do reruns of (Nathan's) shit. He was the guy I always relied on.
So, pretty much a year later was when I'm
like, "I've got to get shit moving again. I've got to at least get the website going on". Because so many people, even industry wise, were like, "Suggitt, when are you going to get street-riot going again?". Like reps and stuff. Once I started getting asked all the time, I figured, I've got to figure this out.

I've had so many little ideas that I've wanted to do, but the only guy that comes to mind to make it happen is Nathan. Because he'd make it better. You'd come to him with this really little idea and you knew he would make it so much better than your original.

Everything I ever asked him for, I'd give hi
m the idea, and (what he'd make) was better than what was in my head. He would duplicate what I was thinking perfect. I've asked other graphic people before and nothing comes close to what I'm thinking. That would never happen with Nathan.
To me it's still too soon, even though it's over. I don't want to be anywhere near that right now. My main goal is to keep him around involved in the shops. He's done everything to this day. He's done so fucking much. Do you know how easy it is to start going back to the older stuff he originally did. Bring this out again. Bring that out again. Keep going down the list. I'd love to run his shit all the time. The best thing to do is keep running his shit, 'cause then you always remember him.


This question goes back a bit. No one
under thirteen will understand it. Any good stories about former Plush manager Tom Piprick, and have you ever seen him with his hat off?
(Laughing) That's pretty funny. Ah ... Tom
Piprick has a kid now. I don't know if you knew that?

No.

He's married. Has a kid. Which is screwed up because he was in here recently talking about his kid and cleaning up shit and I was just looking at him like, "I can't even take you serious right now". Because I would have never guessed he'd have a kid. And he was clearly wearing a hat when he was in here. But he's still skating. So he'll still pop up in the skateparks here and there.


Above: Bump to gap ollie.

That new video you guys just released, is that your third or fourth?
Like, sixth.


How was filming for that?

I think it's the best (one) by far. It's kinda the switch. There have been a couple (team) switches, not too many, throughout the videos. At first it was like Chris Kendall, me, and Devon having parts, you know, then a little bit of everyone else. That went on for a couple of videos. Then you get your new guys, like Wade Fyfe, coming in. This was the first one where every single part is pretty much the new blood. All the new young guys. People who have never had full parts before. Where I've focused on my parts in previous videos, this one I was more focused on all of their parts. The way it turned out with the focus on their parts and their level of skating - this is by far the best video. I love it. Filming for it was fun.


Why did you decide to release it straight to the web?

This video isn't going to be sold through the shop. It's going to be a free video. And it's because everyone in that video has never had a video part. Most of the people in the industry don't even really know who they are. Now, everyone in the industry is watching it and seeing these guys. People are already asking me about Craig Smith. Since it's been on that website, non-stop emails, text messages, phone calls about the video.


Who's your all time favorite Edmonton skater?

All time favorite ever ... It's so hard not to say Jamie because really he's the funnest person to watch in real life. Even more than pro road trips I've gone on, he's more fun to watch. So yeah, that's who I'd have to say.


And who's up and coming in Edmonton?

There's so many now. I can't physically pick one. But this video just coming out - is my, "Here you go" to everyone that's involved in the industry, "Check out these guys". I love everyone's part in that video. I can't really pick one. I'd say everyone in that video; Cam, Neil, Craig ... everyone. They're all the new up and comers as far as I'm concerned. Beyond our team, of course, there's tons of others. Like Mitch and Shane. I think those guys are fucking amazing.


How hard is it to get you on the phone?

Impossible. Well, unless you have my cell number or email, which is like this every single day (gestures to his laptop and phone being right in front of him). This is how you get in contact with me. If you're going to be calling the shop, you will never ever hear my voice. Mainly because when I've been down there and answered that damn phone, it's always someone trying to sell me something. If I need it, I'll get it. I'll get what I need and what I want. If you want to contact me, contact me on email. When I'm in the shop, I'm super focused on what I'm doing. The last two weeks I've been here, I'll walk in at like nine in the morning and start, and until I leave, I don't even stop to eat, nothing. Once I start I just stay focused. I don't want to stop. Lots of times it ends up being someone on the phone that I'll have a twenty-five minute conversation with and then I'm out of focus again.


What are your top five call screening techniques?

Not answering the phone. (laughing) That's my best one.

No comments:

Post a Comment