10/23/11

Lacombe skatepark


Above: Matt Mastrovito smith grind on a steep escalator bank.
I went and checked out the new Lacombe park with Mastrovito Saturday. The park is really good, especially if you've ever thought "You know, the Mill Woods park is fun, but I wish there were a few more bikes here." Well then, welcome to Lacombe. It felt like the skaters were outnumbered 2 to 1.

Above: Local skater Gabe hits up a crazy long 50/50.

Above: Matt tail block. (Would someone please hook him up with a box of boards already. The stuff he's skating is ridiculously destroyed.)

Above: Front blunt slide transfer thingy. Photo by Vito.

I was really glad to see that the park had a few weird obstacles I hadn't seen before.

However, you can spot these bowls and the accompanying foot high extension in the deep end from a mile away. This is by the far the best of these bowls I've skated though. It just felt like I'd skated it before.

Curved up ledges.

Hey Barkman, take notes. Real steel edges - no coping. Yes, yes, yes. Finally!!!


I couldn't get the hang of this.

Yes, there are stairs to jump down.

Matt said he'd give the park a 7 or maybe a 7.5 because of the "new" factor. I'd have to agree. If the bowl was a pool, it would be pushing 10, for sure. Seriously, you know what kind of skate tourism a town would generate if, instead of the typical ramp set up, they had something more akin to a kidney pool? I think it's time we started plagiarizing a bit from some of the Grindline and Dreamland skateparks. Just a bit though. Some of those parks are beyond crazy.

If you're heading to Lacombe from Edmonton take the Hwy 12 exit. The park is right behind the ZigZag. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment